Most organizations feel the need to centralize their logs once you have more than a couple of systems, SSH and tail will not serve you well any more. This talk presents multiple approaches and patterns with their advantages and disadvantages:
- Parse: Take the log files of your applications and extract the relevant pieces of information.
- Send: Add a log appender to send out your events directly without persisting them to a log file.
- Structure: Write your events in a structured file, which you can then centralize.
- Containerize: Keep track of short lived containers and configure their logging correctly.
- Orchestrate: Stay on top of your logs even when services are short lived and dynamically allocated on Kubernetes.