“With microservices every outage is like a murder mystery” is a common complaint. But it doesn’t have to be! This talk gives an overview on how to monitor (distributed) applications. We dive into:
- Uptime monitoring: Ping services and actively monitor their health and response time.
- Application logs: Collect structured logs in a central location.
- Network monitoring: Find out what is happening on the network.
- System metrics: Keep track of network traffic and system load.
- Security events: Collect who is doing what when to find malicious actors.
- Application metrics: Get the information from the application’s metrics and health endpoints via REST or JMX to see how your heap is filling up.
- Request tracing: Trace requests through a distributed system and show how long each call takes and where errors are happening.
And we do all of that live, since it is so easy and much more interactive that way using Elasticsearch Service on Elastic Cloud.