"With microservices every outage is like a murder mystery" is a common complaint. But it doesn't have to be! This workshop gives an introduction on how to monitor distributed applications with open source tools and in particular the Elastic Stack (previously ELK Stack).
We dive into:
- System metrics: Keep track of network traffic and system load.
- Application logs: Collect structured logs in a central location.
- Uptime monitoring: Ping services and actively monitor their availability and response time.
- Application metrics: Get the information from the applications' metrics and health endpoints via REST or JMX.
- Request tracing: Use Elastic APM to trace requests through a distributed system and show where your slow calls are spending their time.